Thursday, March 25, 2010

First Dental Visit!

Avery had his first dental visit this morning.  When I called to make his appointment I called the pediatric dentist my older two boys see.  I told them that Avery has been diagnosed with severe speech apraxia, sensory integration, and motor planning with some possible low tone in his face.  I asked if they would be able to see him or if I should call someplace else.  They assured me that they would be able to deal with him and said it would be best to bring him in to the office first thing in the morning as that is their least busy time and the office is quieter.  I told them I would bring him as soon as I dropped the older boys off at school.

This morning Avery woke up in a foul mood.  I immediately thought this was not going to be pretty.  When I told him we were going to the dentist he started yelling "Noooooo!"  When we dropped the boys off at school and didn't head back towards the house he started yelling "Nooooo!" again.  The closer we got to the dental office the less he started fighting me.

We pulled into the parking lot and he jumped out of the car and headed inside without any problem.  He went right into the office and I checked him in while he played at the toys.  When we were called back he started grabbing at my legs saying "mama eww" (mama you). I told him I would go with him and we walked to the back.  He climbed into the chair and the hygienist came in.  She was so good to Avery, even while he turned his head to pretend she wasn't there.  She had him pick out a toothbrush by showing him the ones they had and letting him point to which he wanted since he can't tell her.  She turned on the movie Cars for him to watch while he was there.  She explained everything she was doing and showed him everything on his hand (which he tolerated really well) before she did anything.  He did so so so good.  I was so proud of him.

He let her brush his teeth with the toothbrush he chose. 



Since he handled that so well she decided to try x rays on him.


He handled the x rays just as perfectly as he did the brushing.  At that point the dentist came in to check out his teeth.


Again I was so proud of him.  He tolerated her fingers in his mouth, and all the instruments without any problem.  The dentist took me out of the room and told me how well he was doing and had basically asked if I was sure the diagnosis was correct LOL.  She told me how when they hear a child has a diagnosis of sensory integration they kind of do some special preparations of deep breaths and stuff before taking him back.  I said "oh deep breaths so you don't want to strangle him?"  We both laughed, and then I told her how I was completely and totally expecting nothing to get done and him to have a complete meltdown.  I explained how I have been told a lot of his sensory issues and other things are due to the Apraxia.  He can't control his speech, so he tries to control his environment because it's something he can control.

His front two top teeth need crowns (he broke them at some point, so they have a small chip missing.) but other than those he has absolutely no other problems.  Because of his issues and age the only way to do the work would be to put him under general anesthesia at the hospital and do the work.  The dentist said it was completely up to me, but she didn't feel we should put him through something so traumatic unless we really had to.  I completely agreed.  She prescribed him some MI paste which I have to put on his top two teeth twice a day.  He is also going to be going back every 3 months for a fluoride varnish treatment.  We are hoping that these things will prevent any cavities from forming and slow down the progress of anything that has already started.  Should there come a time when we have to do something then we'll go the hospital route.  If this stuff works then hopefully it will hold us off long enough until he can tolerate having the work done in the office.

So yay for a good first dental appt!!

2 comments:

MommyLovesStilettos said...

That is great!!!!

Vernell Leider said...

Hehehe... He looks like a rockstar with his shades! What a brave boy! He was able to smile before the dental procedure. I'm happy for you, little man!

Background